The Queen’s Commonwealth Essay Competition
1 1. OUR POLICY
- 1.2 References to "we", "our", "us" in these Terms is to the Royal Commonwealth Society. We are a registered charity in England and Wales (charity number: 226748) and our contact address is Award House, 7-11 St Matthew Street, London SW1P 2JT.
- 1.3 By visiting this website, www.thercs.org (the “Website”), you are accepting and consenting to the practices described in this Policy.
2. INFORMATION WE MAY COLLECT FROM YOU
- 2.1 When you use the Website, including but not limited to, when you register to use the Website, subscribe to our services, search for goods or services, place an order on our Website, you may provide us with personal information about you such as your name, address, date of birth, telephone numbers, school attended (if any) and email addresses ("personal information"). We are committed to protecting your privacy, and will only use your personal information in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
- 2.2 With regard to each of your visits to our Website, we may automatically collect the following information:
- 2.2.1 technical information, including the internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the internet, your login information, browser type and version, operating system and platform;
- 2.2.2 information about your visit, including the URL clickstream to, through and from the Website, products you viewed or searched for, page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks and mouse-overs).
3. USES MADE OF THE INFORMATION
We may use information held about you for the purposes of:
- 3.1.1 ensuring that our Website is presented in the most effective manner for you and your computer;
- 3.1.2 notifying you about a change to our Website or services;
- 3.1.3 providing connectivity to third party services such as Facebook, Twitter, Flickr and YouTube, but only if you have provided us with account details for these services;
- 3.1.4 usage analysis to provide a better service for you through website enhancements based on feedback and activity of users;
- 3.1.6 providing competition prizes and awards, if applicable.
- 3.2 We shall be entitled to use your information to provide you with information, products and/or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you. If you do not want us to contact you in this way you can "opt out" by indicating this when submitting forms on the Website or by emailing us at any time at email@example.com.
4. DISCLOSURE OF YOUR INFORMATION
- 4.1 We may share your personal information with selected third parties:
- 4.1.1 in the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal information to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets; and
- 4.1.2 if we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply such other terms as apply to our relationship, or to protect the rights, property, or safety of our customers, ourselves or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction; and
- 4.1.3 if we determine that such disclosure is necessary in connection with any investigation or complaint regarding your use of the Website; and
- 4.1.4 for the performance of any contract we enter into with them or you; and
- 4.1.5 analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our Website.
- 4.1.6 if you enter an RCS programme or project and the information would be relevant to a local RCS branch’s activities, at the discretion of RCS London. You may at any time opt-out of this clause by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 5.1 Certain parts of the Website use "cookies" to keep track of your visit and to help you navigate between sections. A cookie is a small data file that certain websites store on your computer's hard-drive when you visit such websites. Cookies can contain information such as your user ID and the pages you have visited. The only personal information a cookie contains is information that you have personally supplied.
- 6.1 The Website has numerous security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse and alteration of information under our control, such as passwords and firewalls. We cannot, however, guarantee that these measures are, or will remain, adequate. We do, however, take data security seriously and will use our reasonable endeavours to protect the integrity of the information you provide.
- 6.2 Our Website may, from time to time, contain links to and from other websites. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
8. WHERE WE STORE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
The data that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area (“EEA”). It may also be processed by staff operating outside the EEA who work for us or for one of our suppliers. Such staff may be engaged in, among other things, the fulfilment of your order, the processing of your payment details and the provision of support services. By submitting your personal data, you agree to this transfer, storing or processing. We will take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that your data is treated securely and in accordance with this Policy.
9. YOUR RIGHTS
- 9.1 The law entitles you to access information held about you at any time. You also have the right to ask us to correct or update your personal information. Either of these can be done by writing to us at The Royal Commonwealth Society, 7-11 St Matthew Street, London SW1P 2JT, or contacting us at the following email address: email@example.com or such other email address as may be displayed on the Contact section of the Website from time to time.
- 9.2 You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise this right at any time by contacting us using the contact details set out in paragraph 9.1 above.